Thursday, 25 August 2016

OUR FATHER IS SO TRUSTWORTHY!





This morning I was revisiting a revelation God gave me quite a few years ago.  At the time I was marveling at how responsive Jesus was with our Father.  I was struck by His commitment and heart to be so quick to obey to the Father.  I was meditating on the scripture verses found in John 5:19 & 12:49,50 about how Jesus only does what He sees the Father doing.  That He only speaks what the Father says.

I swiftly came face to face with the very ugly gaping lack in this department for myself.  I couldn’t honestly say, I was quick to obey?  In fact, on many occasions it became almost a wrestling match until I finally conceded and begrudgingly obeyed, knowing it was the right thing to do.  After all who can fight with God and win?

As I meditated on those scripture verses something began to take shape in my mind.  First, it started as admiring Jesus’s level of submission.  I mean, He became obedient to the point of death…death on the cross!?  Philippians 2:8  "And being found in the appearance as a man, He humbled  Himself and became obedient to the point of death, even the death of the cross."  I began to think…who does that?  Who is that committed to following someone’s directions, even to the point of death? 

As I pondered that, I recognized that there must be this huge level of trust that Jesus had in the Father?  Trust that could only develop out of quality time spent with the Father.  I could also see that He must have a great respect for the Father, in order to follow through.  Relationships like that are grounded in an incredible depth of mutual love that doesn’t happen overnight but ever grows and deepens!

Then suddenly the coin was flipped over.  The other side of this picture began to emerge.  In order for all that to take place, for Jesus to have that level of trust, the Father…our Father must be trustworthy.  He must be someone you can trust and count on.!  Not just in a simple everyday kind of casual way where you don’t have much invested in the outcome.  But a deep trust you can count on with your very life!!

That revelation began to seep into my heart as I rolled it over in my mind, letting it run down, filling up every place.  My Father, my heavenly Father is trustworthy!  In fact, He is the most trustworthy person there is.  There is no one more trustworthy than Him.  As that truth started to penetrate every place in me, it has become so much easier to obey.  Recognizing that He is trustworthy and knows best and has my best in mind.

Also, it gave me a key to understanding that most obedience flows out of this level of intimacy with the Father…not from an attitude or behavior of me trying to be good and obey.  The more love and intimacy grows between us as I spend time with Him, the easier it is for me to obey and the more I desire to obey. 

From that place, obedience becomes the fruit and evidence of how much I love Him. That fruit is not something I strain to produce by my good behavior but naturally and effortlessly flows out of sincere love, respect and an unshakable trust in His goodness!

John 14: 23  Jesus answered and said to him, "If anyone loves Me, he will keep My word; and My Father will love him, and We will come to him and make Our home with him."  

So today, let us walk into our day, knowing that He is so trustworthy!  Let us abandon any cares or concerns, knowing He is a good Father, who has good plans for His children and let us be quick to obey!





No comments:

Post a Comment